Yes, people really do leave paradise
- Be flexible and curious in the face of new information and ways of living.
- Don’t buy anything, at least at first.
- Don’t complain. When encountering behavior that is frustrating, give it the benefit of the doubt
- Assume good intentions and wait to be proven wrong.
- Losing your temper and blowing up at the underpaid, overworked immigration employee or customer service representative will get you nowhere. A deep breath, a polite “gracias,” and a smile can work wonders.
- Learn Spanish.
- Be proactive about getting information, getting involved and getting help
- When feeling a little depressed or frustrated about life in your new home, remember that it is a temporary condition and you will get through it.